What happens in microneedling treatment?
In the Dermapen microneedling treatment, we are able to activate the skins natural renewal process. During the microneedling treatment, we make small micro channels to the skin, which enables us to absorbe vitamins and special ingredients into the skin. The treatment is done with the Dermapen-device which resembles a pen. The device is equipped with a small steril changeable treatment end. The small round treatment end contains 16 small needles, which makes a fast back and forth movement on the surface of the skin. With the use of the Dermapen-device, the microneedling treatment can be done in the depth of 0,1-3mm depending on your skin and the treatment goal. The depth of the treatment can be adjusted individually during the whole treatment.
At the beginning of the treatment the skin is cleansed and disinfected carefully throughout. After the cleansing, we apply suitable serum and after that the treatment may begin. During the microneedling, the Dermapen is used on the surface of the skin with upwards oriented movements, where the treatment end makes 1920 small channels in a second to the skin. After the microneedling is done, we apply calming products to soothe the skin.
What kind of problems can be treated with the Microneedling treatment?
More gentle and superficial microneedling is good for impurities, pigment changes as well as for customers who are in need of an effective but painless treatment. This Microneedling treatment is a good example of the first “more efficient” anti-age treatment. With the deep Dermapen microneedling treatment, we can sufficiently treat different scars, expanded pores, rosacea, wrinkles and lines and tighten the skin.
The Microneedling can treat:
- Facial lines and wrinkles
- Wrinkles on the neck
- Acne & impurities
- Expanded pores
- Acne scars
- Surgery and burn scars
- Stretch marks
- Pigment changes
- Eye bags and dark under eyes
Does microneedling hurt?
The microneedling done on the surface of the skin may feel as a slight vibration on the skin. Also you may feel a small pinch and light sensitivity on the skin area, depending on the thickness of the skin and the problems that are treated. The treatments is done on the surface layer of the skin (approximately 0,3-0,5mm), which is typically very tolerable. Often the needling can be started in a lighter way. This way the customer and the skin get used to the needling and then we gradually add the length of the needle. The deeper microneedling is more profound and may cause some pain, but is usually tolerable. Sometimes the deeper needling is necessary to be done only on local scars, but for example if you want more comprehensive toning on your skin, then the deeper needling needs to be done thoroughly, since the collagen synthesis happens deeper in the skin. The deeper microneedling usually causes tiny superficial blood drops during the treatment, but the skin is not supposed to bleed during the treatment.
After the Microneedling
After gentle microneedling is done, there may be small redness on the skin which may cool off completely during the calming mask. The mask comes is applied in the end of the treatment. The microneedling which is done deeper in the skin, usually causes visible redness, tingling, hotness and the skin may feel tight. Straight after the deeper Dermapen microneedling treatment is done, the skin will resemble a lot like sun burned skin. Even after the deeper treatment the worst redness will cool down to a good level in few hours. The next day after the treatment, you may use make up. After the microneedling, it is important to take care that the skin is adequately moisturized. After the treatment you will get recommendations on suitable skin care products that you may then use at home.
Healing process after the Dermapen treatment
- 24 hours from treatment: redness, swelling and possible hematoma
- 1-2 days from treatment: slight redness, slight swelling, possible hematoma, slight itch, dryness, tightness
- 2-3 days form treatment: decreased redness, healing of possible hematoma, decreased itch and slight tightness
- 3-4 days from treatment: dryness
- 4-5 days from treatment: full recovery and normal recovery of skins functions
Dermapen treatment interval
After the Dermapen treatment, the skin starts its renewal process. The surface of the skin is renewed in a month depending on the customers skin and age. The formation of the new collagen may take 3-6 weeks. So the end result of the treatment might not be immediately visible, when we talk about deeper scar and toning treatments. Depending on the skin’s condition and age, the next Dermapen treatment should be scheduled in 1-6 weeks from the first treatment. Your skin therapist may know how to give an individual estimate on the necessary treatments needed as well as suitable intervals. Due to the effectiveness of the Dermapen treatments, you may achieve good results from just 1-3 treatment times.
The contraindications of microneedling
Microneedling is not recommended under the following circumstances:
- Certain kinds of medication
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Ingredients used for allergies
- Herpes simplex
- Bacteria- / yeast infections
- Skin cancer
- Actinic keratosis
- Psoriasis treated area
- Eczema treated area
- 4th degree acne
- Open cut / skin damage treated area
- Over sensitive skin
- Low resistance, for e.g caused by sickness
- Auto-immune diseases
Other things to take into consideration before Dermapen treatment
- If the treated area has under gone aesthetic / surgical beauty procedures, then make sure first that you are able to take the Dermapen treatment, that way you know that it is safe to do. In the surgical procedures the follow-up needs to be done and the area must be fully recovered before doing the microneedling treatment.
- If you are taking medication, please make sure from your doctor first that it is safe to do the Dermapen treatment.
- We do not recommend the Dermapen treatment if your skin is extremely sensitive, problematic, easily irritated and you are unsure of the treatment been suitable for your skin.