What happens in microneedling?
Before microneedling, you can make an appointment for a free special facial consultation, where a skin care professional will look at your skin and make a recommendation for the best facial treatment for your skin. Consultation is not mandatory. Dermapen microneedling therapy is able to activate skin regeneration and rejuvenation. In microneedling therapy, small microchannels are made in the skin, through which active ingredients are absorbed into the skin. The treatment is performed with a slightly pen-like Dermapen device equipped with a small sterile replaceable treatment head. The small round treatment head contains 16 small needles that make a quick back and forth movement on the surface of the skin. Microneedle therapy can be performed with a Dermapen device to a depth of 0.1-3 mm, depending on the client’s skin and the treatment goals. The depth of treatment can be adjusted individually according to each client throughout the treatment.
At the beginning of the treatment, the skin is thoroughly cleansed and disinfected throughout. After the initial cleansing, the most suitable serum for the client’s problems is applied to the skin, and the microneedling itself can be started. During microneedling, Dermapen is slided upward on the surface of the skin, with the treatment head making 1920 small channels per second in the skin. After microneedling, soothing end-care products are applied to the skin.
What problems can be treated with microneedling?
Superficial and light microneedling treatment of the skin is good e.g. for impurities, drieness and pigment changes, as well as for clients who need an effective but painless form of treatment. Superficial microneedling treatment of the skin is a good option as the first more effective anti-age treatment. Deep Dermapen microneedling treatments can effectively treat a variety of scars, enlarged pores, rosacea, as well as fine lines, wrinkles and loose skin.
Microneedling can be used to treat:
- Facial lines and wrinkles
- Neck lines
- Loose skin
- Skin impurities
- Enlarged pores
- Acne scars
- Surgical and burn scars
- Stretch marks
- Pigment changes
- Eye bags and dark under-eyes
Does microneedling hurt?
The superficial microneedling of the skin feels like a small vibration on the skin. Also, a slight tingling and light tenderness may be felt slightly depending on the skin area, skin problem, and skin thickness. Microneedling treatments on the more superficial layers of the skin (about 0.3-0.5 mm) are typically well tolerated. In many cases, the needling can also be started more lightly, allowing the skin and the client to get used to the needling, and the length of the needle can be gradually increased. Deeper microneedling is already much more noticeable, but usually still tolerable. Sometimes deeper needling can only be done locally, e.g. on local scars, but when, for example, overall firming of the skin is desired, then the needling must be done deeper than the more superficial layers of the skin where collagen formation takes place. When the needling is made up to the dermis, small blood drops can appear on the surface of the skin. There are no blood drops on the light superficial needling treatments.
After superficial microneedling, there may be a slight redness on the skin, which may calm completely during the final mask after superficial microneedling treatments. After deep microneedling treatment, the skin becomes red, tingling, hot and may feel tight. Immediately after deep Dermapen microneedle treatment, the skin resembles sunburned skin. Even the worst redness after deep treatment often calms down to a good level within a few hours. Makeup can be used normally the next day after treatment. After microneedling, it is important to ensure adequate hydration of the skin. In connection with the treatment, you will receive recommendations for home care suitable for your skin.
Healing process after Dermapen treatment
- 24 hours after treatment: redness, swelling and possible small “blood marks”
- 1-2 days of treatment: mild redness, mild swelling, possible “blood marks”, mild itching, dryness and tightness
- 2-3 days of treatment: reduced redness, improvement in possible bleeding, reduced itching and slight tightening
- 3-4 days of treatment: dryness and flaking
- 5-8 days of treatment: full recovery and normal recovery of skin functions
How many Dermapen treatments will I need?
After treatment with Dermapen, the skin begins to repair. The skin surface regenerates depending on the client’s skin and age in about a month, while the build-up of new collagen in the skin takes 5-8 weeks, so the final results of the treatment are not immediately visible when talking about deeper scar and firming treatments. Depending on your treatment needs, skin and age, it is a good idea to schedule your next Dermapen treatment 1-2 months after your first treatment. Your dermatologist will be able to give you an individual assessment of the amount of treatments needed and the appropriate treatment intervals. Due to their effectiveness, Dermapen treatments often achieve good results already with 2-4 treatments.
Contraindications to microneedling
Skin microneedling is not recommended in the following cases:
- Certain medicines
- Arrhythmia medication
- Allergy to the ingredients of the products used
- Herpes simplex
- Bacterial / fungal infections
- Skin cancer
- Solar keratosis
- Psoriasis in the treated area
- Eczema in the treated area
- 4th degree acne
- Open wound / skin damage in the treated area
- Hypersensitive skin
- Low resistance, eg caused by disease
- Autoimmune diseases
Things to consider before Dermapen treatment
- If an aesthetic, cosmetic surgery has been performed on the area to be treated, please first make sure it is safe to perform microneedling. In surgical procedures, a follow-up examination must have been performed and the area must have fully recovered before performing microneedling treatment.
- If you are taking any medicines, please check with your doctor first whether it is safe to take Dermapen.
- We do not recommend treatment with Dermapen if your skin is extremely sensitive, problematic, exceptionally irritating and you are hesitant about the suitability of the treatment for your skin.
- The diabetic should check with her/his doctor for suitability for microneedling treatment. The doctor will assess whether the procedure is safe to perform.
Make an appointment for a free Dermapen consultation, where a skin care professional will assess the condition of your skin and give the best recommendation for a necessary and safe facial treatment. We recommend a consultation whenever you are unsure or have any of the above exceptions.